About the Club
Founded in 1992, the Sundowners Car Club is for the car enthusiast that likes special interest vehicles and owns one, is building one, or is
just dreaming of owning one. Owners of all makes and models of cars are invited to join.
Members of the Club
· Host the annual Defeat of Jesse James Car Show each September which attracts between 250-350 cars each year.
· Participate in Northfield’s annual Crazy Days event parking their cars on Division St. in the evening.
· Contribute to local fund raisers for military personnel, the local food shelf, and other community activities.
· Contributed to both the Faribault and Northfield Veteran’s Memorials.
· Cruise every Friday night during the summer months ending with supper at a local restaurant.
Cruises are open to anyone who would like to join us.
· Assist clubs and organizations in surrounding communities with their car shows.
· Attend car shows in surrounding communities throughout the summer.
· Participate in parades.
· Cruise & Park at local retirement centers.
· Organize impromptu car cruises as weather permits.
· Receive a discount at local car parts stores with presentation of membership card.
Members of the Sundowners include individuals who have completely restored cars and those who have purchased a car that is road ready and everything in between. One member of our club who graduated in the ‘60s displays a car he purchased in high school. Another has restored beautiful cars for other people as well as several for himself.
Our members come from Northfield and surrounding communities including Dennison, Dundas, Faribault, Farmington, Lonsdale, Montgomery, and Albert Lea.
The Sundowners Car Club had their beginning back one cold winter day in January of 1992 when Larry and Pat Trusty thought it might be a good idea if Northfield had a car club. They had been driving to the Twin Cities to car club meetings, but knew there were others in Northfield who shared their interest in cars. Four couples gathered to discuss the formation of a car club and it was agreed to place an ad in the local newspaper. The response was overwhelming, and 42 members signed up at the first meeting.
The Sundowners Car Club was born and a car driving into the sunset was decided upon for the logo.
In September of 1992, the Sundowners put on their 1st Defeat of Jesse James Days Car Show with over 190 cars in attendance. The show has been held for 26 years and has continued to grow in attendance with numbers very close to 400 in recent years.
Family memberships are $20 the first year. Renewal memberships are $15 per year. Membership entitles you to:
Club activities including picnics, special weekend cruises, including a fall cruise to enjoy the colors, appreciation party, and more.
A monthly newsletter which includes meeting minutes, club happenings, a want ad section, a show schedule for events in the area, general information for the car enthusiast, and more.
Come join us!